Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Eraserhead

I've been pumping up my courage to see this film for quite some time. David Lynchs work has fascinated and freaked me out since I got really into movies, and Eraserhead struck me, solely by the plot synopses I had read, as a movie more surreal and frightening than, for example Mullholland Drive, or the final Twin Peaks episode.

In short, I was right, oh was I ever right. I won't faff about with a plot synopsis, mostly seeing as anyones guess is as good as mine when it comes to what this movie is about. What I will however tell you, is that I got a whole new perspective on the philosophy behind H.P Lovecrafts stories, the whole business with knowledge of what's actually going on driving you insane.

Y'see, there are some pieces of fiction I wish I could fully understand all of it. Every twist, turn and complicated metaphor. Eraserhead is not one of these movies, in fact, I keep catching myself contemplating to what degree I'd be a happier person never thinking of it again. Of course, this isn't going to happen, but I digress. Although I doubt full understanding of Eraserhead will drive me completely and uncurably insane, but you never know.

I don't know if I liked the movie Eraserhead per se, I mean, sure, it's a very good movie, but I can't say I felt any better after watching it, and odds are I'll just watch it once. I think I'll settle with it being good but uncomfortable to the max.

No comments: